Year 7 Catch up Funding - Review

Review of impact for 2019-2020 Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch-up Premium

For Coronavirus (COVID-19) catch-up premium 2020/2021 click here

The Year 7 Catch-Up Premium Funding aims to provide catch-up support for any Year 7 students who did not meet the expected standard (a score of 100) in Reading and/or Mathematics at the end of Key Stage 2.

There is no separate funding for Year 7 in 2020-21.

How is the funding paid to schools?

The Education Funding Agency (EFA) pays the grant to Local Authorities (LAs). LAs must certify that they have passed on the correct amount of funding to schools or, where they have spent funding centrally, that they have spent it in line with the conditions of grant. The funding is usually received in April, but is used throughout the academic year. Schools and academies do not have to spend the grant in the same financial year; they may carry forward some or all of the grant to future financial years.

How much additional funding is provided?

In March 2020 the school received £9743. 

Who decides how this funding is used?

The Governing Body in consultation with the Headteacher decides how the premium funding is used. The Governing Body receives regular progress reports through the Standards and Progress Committee from all subjects relating to student progress including Year 7 students who did not meet the expected standard in Reading and/or Mathematics at the end of Key Stage 2. The Year 7 Catch-Up Premium Funding is used in a way to provide catch-up support for any Year 7 students who did not meet the expected standard in Reading and/or Mathematics at the end of Key Stage 2. The Governing Body holds the ultimate responsibility of ensuring value for money.

What is the breakdown of our current Year 7 catch-up cohort?

25 students were identified from their end of KS2 Mathematics paper as not achieving the expected standard in Mathematics. These 25 students were identified as our ‘catch up cohort’ for Numeracy; 3 of the students from this cohort are in receipt of Pupil Premium funding.

38 students were identified from their end of KS2 Reading paper as not achieving the expected standard in Reading. These 38 students have been identified as our ‘catch up cohort’ for Literacy; 4 of the students from this cohort are in receipt of Pupil Premium funding.

18 students were identified from their end of KS2 Mathematics and Reading papers as not achieving the expected standard in both Mathematics and English.  

The school has 8 students with no Key Stage 2 Prior Attainment data. These students’ progress has also been monitored, if they are identified as needing support to catch up.

How the current funding has been used:

We spent this funding in a variety of ways, including:

  • Additional teaching staffing for targeted groups of students
  • In-class support for Literacy and Numeracy
  • Alpha - Omega spelling programme
  • Lexia - online reading programme 
  • Small group and one to one tuition
  • Specific learning resources to support learning
  • Teachers and Learning Support Assistants offering extra intervention and support in Literacy and Numeracy

Numeracy Impact

We measured whether a student has ‘caught up’ by monitoring their levels of progress based on their End of Year 7 attainment in Mathematics. 48% of the Numeracy catch up cohort met or exceeded their Expected Attainment Pathway (EAP) Target; the remaining 52% were less than 1 grade below their EAP. No student was more than 1 grade below their EAP.  Students in Year 7 and Year 8 follow Mathematics Mastery programme, an evidence-based teaching and learning approach. Through this programme, students are given time and opportunities to fully explore mathematical concepts. They are encouraged to investigate ideas in new and complex ways- rather than accelerating through new topics. 

Literacy Impact

We measured whether a student has ‘caught up’ by monitoring their levels of progress based on their End of Year attainment in English. 39% of the Literacy catch up cohort met or  exceeded their Expected Attainment Pathway (EAP) Target. The remaining 61% of this cohort were less than 1 grade below their Expected Attainment Pathway Target. .

Actions:

  • Any students following the pink/red flightpath will continue to have their progress monitored as part of the below ARE strategy. 

St Philomena’s Catholic High School for Girls

Shorts Road

Carshalton Surrey

SM5 3PS

T: 020 8642 2025

 

For general enquiries please mail:

enquiries@stphils.org.uk

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.